How to Apply
To apply for a permanent position with Alice Springs Town Council, applicants must be Australian citizens or have permanent residency.
Indigenous people are encouraged to apply.
Applications must contain:
- Cover letter
- A section addressing each of the Selection Criteria
- A current resume/CV
- Photocopies of all relevant qualifications
- Two work-related referees
All applications are placed on file and therefore folders/binders used for presentation purposes are not necessary.
If applying for two or more advertised vacancies, a separate application must be submitted for each position.
If further information about a position is required, please contact the Council Officer named in the advertisement.
When preparing an application:
- Keep answers to Selection Criteria factual and succinct – avoid being long-winded or padding an application with irrelevant information.
- Please do not include original documents (e.g. references, licenses, certificates) as they may not be returned.
- Ensure the application arrives at Council by the closing time/date, as stated in the advertisement.
1. Applications are assessed on relevant skills, education/training, and the merit of answers for each of the position’s Selection Criteria by a three-member selection panel who will then short-list applicants for interview. Depending on the gender mix of interviewees, there may be both females and males on the selection panel.
2. The selection panel will ask a series of standard questions relating to the position’s Selection Criteria. Applicants may be asked to complete a practical test, relevant to the position.
3. An applicant’s nominated referees may be contacted for further information and to confirm previous employment history.
4. Successful applicants will be required to undertake a thorough medical assessment (with Council-preferred GP and at Council’s expense), including drug and alcohol testing, and a criminal history check, as a condition of employment.
5. Successful applicants will be required to prove that they have the right to work in Australia, by providing certified copies of either a passport, citizenship certificate, proof of residency, or birth certificate.
6. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified in writing.
This application form may assist in the application process, but does not replace the requirement to submit documentation as listed below.
A cover letter must include the title and number of the position applied for, along with the applicant’s full name and contact details. Applicants should highlight any relevant skills and experience, and state the reasons why this particular job is of interest. A cover letter is the applicant’s opportunity to introduce and ‘sell’ themselves.
Selection Criteria are listed in the Position Description, under essential/desirable criteria.
Applicants will be assessed by the selection panel against each of these, so it is important to carefully read, understand and address each section of the Selection Criteria.
The selection panel will be interested in relevant skills, experience and responses to the Selection Criteria to determine if an applicant meets the position’s requirements.
When answering the Selection Criteria, applicants should support claims with detailed examples of previous work experiences and their relevance to the current position being applied for.
Transferable knowledge, skills or abilities obtained in non-work related areas may also be used to address the Selection Criteria, if they provide evidence of an applicant’s capacity to meet the Selection Criteria, e.g. leadership role with a voluntary organisation.
Resume / Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Your resume/curriculum vitae should contain the following:
- Personal information and contact details
- Educational qualifications (include copies only of secondary/tertiary academic results)
- Further education, professional development, certificates from relevant courses (include copies only)
- Employment history – position title and length of service for each position previously held – including a brief summary of the role, responsibilities and daily duties
- Referees relating to the applicant’s work history. Personal or social referees are not required.
Referees may be contacted during the selection process.
Please include the names and current contact details for each referee provided.
Ensure permission has been obtained from each referee before nominating them.
Submitting an application
Applications should be forwarded by one of the following methods:
By email (submission of electronic applications is encouraged): [email protected]astc.nt.gov.au
Attn to: The CEO
Alice Springs Town Council
PO Box 1071
Alice Springs NT 0871
By fax: (08) 8953 0558
Alice Springs Town Council – Civic Centre
93 Todd Street, Alice Springs
Alice Springs Town Council
Ph: (08) 8950 0528