If you see or suspect a snake is in your home, workplace or near vicinity, call the Alice Springs Reptile Centre Snakephone on +61 407 983 276 – 7 days per week.
If your call is answered by an answering machine, leave your name and number and the Centre will ring you straight back – they are probably answering another call.
What to do if you see a snake?
- Stay at least 10 metres away from the snake
- Ring the Snakephone: 0407 983 276
- Watch the snake so you know where it is when Reptile Centre staff arrive
Snake awareness tips
- Snakes love going for a swim, so check your pool and skimmer box before jumping in.
- Snakes are also attracted to bird aviaries which attract mice. Cement or pave the bottom of the aviary and keep it as clean as possible.
- Snakes love rubbish and overgrown areas. Try and keep bits and pieces off the ground. Keep the yard tidy, remove excess leaves and mow the grass.
- To stop snakes from coming into the house, attach weather strips to the bottom of doors and keep sliding doors closed or close the mesh door.