Chemical Disposal Centre
Storing chemicals around your home, such as under your kitchen sink or in the backyard shed, increases the risk of poisoning in your home. Disposing of chemicals in your wheelie-bin to be sent to landfill or even pouring small amounts down drains can pollute creeks and rivers, harming plants and animals. For these reasons, there is a Chemcial Waste Disposal Centre at the Regional Waste Management Facility. The Chemical Disposal Centre Factsheet is available here.
Fridays 8:00am‑3:00pm, and the first Saturday of each month 8:00am‑3:00pm ONLY. Household chemicals that CANNOT go in your wheelie-bin should be dropped off at the Chemical Disposal Centre.
What can I drop off?
- Dry paint
- Automotive oils
- Car batteries
What can’t I drop off?
Containers larger than 5 litres.
Chemical disposal conditions
- Please report to weighbridge staff before dropping off any hazardous chemicals/materials.
- Drop chemical or hazardous waste off at Chemical drop-off.
- Do not drop off chemicals at the Transfer Station.
- No open or broken chemical containers will be accepted.
- Only clean empty chemical containers will be accepted.
- Use only original containers when disposing of chemical and hazardous products.
- Plastic or other generic containers will not be accepted.
- No container larger than five (5) litres will be accepted.
- The maximum quantity to be received is 20 litres (4 x 5L containers).
- Only residential hazardous waste will be accepted.
- Business chemical waste or large quantities of containers will not be accepted.
- Other conditions and fees may apply.
Alice Springs Town Council reserves the right to refuse chemicals or hazardous waste.
Can I drop off commercial, farm or industrial waste?
No. Cleanaway provide a service for the disposal of Commercial and Industrial chemicals. Council actively supports the Drum Muster and ChemClear programs.
What about obsolete agricultural and veterinary chemicals?
Register your collection with ChemClear online or call 1800 008 182.
Can I drop off empty chemical containers?
Yes. Please book a time to access Council’s Chemical Disposal Centre at the Alice Springs Regional Waste Management Facility on Commonage Road. Please call 8950 4340, Monday-Friday, 8:00am — 4:00pm. Fees apply.
How do I safely transport chemicals to the Regional Waste Management Facility?
- Ensure lids are tightly sealed.
- Pack powders and solids securely.
- Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid, away from poisons.
- Keep oxidising agents, such as peroxide, away from all other materials.
- Travel with your car windows down if carrying flammable or odorous materials.