Australia Day Flag Raising and Citizenship Ceremony
- Jan. 26th 2015, 7:30am - 7:30am
- Civic Centre Courtyard
- Town Council
- Contact Details:
- Citizenship Coordinator on 89500500 or 89500502
Alice Springs will welcome 71 new citizens on Monday, 26 January 2015 at a Citizenship Ceremony to be administered by His Worship the Mayor Mr Damien Ryan, in conjunction with the Australia Day Flag Raising & Citizenship Ceremony.
Australia Day is always a special day for Australians and with this year’s events also marking the 66th year of Australian citizenship there has never been a better time to celebrate the spirit and diversity of our country.
This year’s Australia Day citizenship ceremony will see a diverse range of people from various countries such as Nigeria, Nepal, South Africa, India, Philippines, Indonesia, UK, New Zealand, USA, South Korea, Kuwait, Wales, Sudan, Kenya, Fiji, Myanmar, China, Pakistan, Denmark, Thailand, Zimbabwe and Italy make their pledge to becoming an Australian citizen.
Celebrations for Australia Day include:
• Flag raising ceremony commencing at 7:30am
• Citizenship and Affirmation ceremonies
• Presentation of the 2015 Australia Day Ambassador for Alice Springs, Mr Byron Watson, one of Australia’s leading baritones
• Presentation of the Australia Day Awards — Centralian Citizen of the Year, Young Centralian Citizen of the Year, Community Event of the Year, Volunteer of the Year and Student Citizen Awards
• Presentation of winners of the ‘Australia Day’ 3.5km Family Fun Run/Walk —
hosted by the Alice Springs Running and Walking Club, the 3.5km run/walk starts and finishes at the Todd Mall (southern entrance)
• Cutting of the Australia Day cake — people born on the 26th of January are
invited to come along and cut the cake.
There will be A FREE community sausage sizzle courtesy of Woolworths and Apex Club.