Applicants must be an Australian citizen or have permanent resident status. Indigenous persons are encouraged to apply.
Your application should contain:
- A covering letter
- A section addressing each of the selection criteria
- A current resume
- Photocopies of any relevant qualifications.
- A minimum of two work related referees.
All applications are placed on file and therefore folders and binders used for presentation purposes are not necessary.
If you are applying for two or more advertised vacancies you should submit a separate application for each vacancy.
Should you require more information regarding a vacancy, please contact the contact person listed in the advertisement.
When preparing an application:
- avoid being long-winded or padding your application with irrelevant information,
- do not include original documents, eg references, certificates, as we cannot be held responsible for their return,
- ensure that your application arrives at Council by the closing date, which appears at the bottom of the advertisement.
1. Applications are assessed on merit by a Selection Panel against the selection criteria for the position and applicants are short-listed for an interview. The selection panel is usually composed of a minimum of three (3) staff members. There may be both females and males on the selection panel depending on the gender mix of applicants.
2. The interview panel will ask a series standard questions in line with the selection criteria for the position. In some cases you may be asked to present samples of your past work or to complete a structured group of exercises or tests.
3. Following interviews nominated referees may be contacted to obtain more information about applicants.
4. For all vacancies preferred applicants will be required to undertake an employment medical at Council expense.
5. For all vacancies preferred applicants will be required to undergo a criminal history check prior to the finalising of the selection process.
6. Once a successful appointment has been made, the unsuccessful applicants are contacted by letter. Unsuccessful applicants have the opportunity to contact the HR Department on 08 8950 0540 for feedback regarding their applications.
This application form
may assist in the application process, but does not replace the need to submit the documentation listed below.
The cover letter introduces you and states the position for which you are applying. You should detail your relevant skills and experience and state the reasons why you want this particular job. This is your opportunity to sell yourself.
The selection criteria are listed in the Position Description, under essential/desirable criteria. The selection panel will rate you against each of these, so read and address each of them carefully in your application.
The selection panel is interested in your skills and experience and your responses to the selection criteria and how you meet the requirements. Try to provide evidence of your claims with examples and details of where you worked and how this is relevant to the position you are applying for. You can also include transferable knowledge, skills or abilities in areas relevant to the selection criteria, which you have developed outside the workplace as evidence of your capacity to meet the criteria, e.g. leadership role with a voluntary organisation.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Your resume or curriculum vitae should contain the following:
- Personal details including contact details
- Secondary and tertiary education qualifications (copy of tertiary academic results should be included)
- Other relevant courses or professional development
- Employment history, current and previous, summarising position and duties and length of service
- Referees (see Reference Checks). Do not include personal or social referees.
Referees provided by applicants may be contacted during the selection process. Please include the names and contact numbers of referees in your application. Get permission from your referees before nominating them.
Where to Send Applications
Applications should be forwarded by one of the following methods;
By posting to:
Alice Springs Town Council
PO Box 1071
Alice Springs NT 0871
Or faxed to: (08) 8953 0558
Or emailed to: email@example.com
(submission of electronic applications is encouraged)
Or hand delivered to:
The Alice Springs Town Council Civic Centre
Human Resources Department
Alice Springs Town Council
Phone (08) 8950 0540